VEHICLE TITLE SKIPPING

Bought a Vehicle Online Without a Title

Most Popular Posts

IFTA FILING 2ND QTR 2011 IS DUE
VEHICLE TITLE SKIPPING
Multiple Owners on a Vehicle Title
Motor Carrier Permits: IRP/IFTA Trip Permits, Overload Permits& Hauling Permits
Bought a Vehicle From Private Seller and Lost Title?

Categories

1st Quarter IFTA Tax Filing
3rd Quarter IFTA Tax Filing 2012
4th Quarter IFTA Tax Filing
ABANDONED VEHICLES SERVICE ASSISTANCE
ABANDONED VEHICLES TITLE HELP
AUTO DEALER/AUCTION OUT OF BUSINESS
BILL OF SALE
Bought a Vehicle Online Without a Title
Bought a Vehicle That's Stolen?
BOUGHT A VEHICLE WITHOUT GETTING TITLE
Starting a Trucking Company
Tips to Prepare Your IFTA Quarterly Taxes
Title & Register an Antique Vehicle
TITLE SKIPPING
TITLING A TRAILER
Trucking Citations
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
VEHICLE LIENS PART ONE
Vehicle Title Assistance
Vehicle Title Fraud Help
Vehicle Title Services
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
VIRGINIA AUTO REGISTRATIONS

April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

Wisdom & Authority Title Solutions

VEHICLE TITLE SKIPPING

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've come across customers (while working at the DMV), who were actually trying to avoid getting a vehicle titled in their name (to avoid title and tax fees) or people who I come across now who are victims of title skipping.  What is title skipping?  Title skipping is when a person has acquired a vehicle and a title (the title is signed over to them as well).  Rather than get the title changed into their name; they don't and when they decide to sell the vehicle they take the title that they received, and try to sign the title over to someone else or a buyer.

What happens in cases of title skipping?

• The "final" or last "buyer's" name on the title, goes to DMV to acquire a title in his name.  Unfortunately, DMV informs the person that they can't get a title in their name because the person whose name was before their's on the title, need to get the vehicle titled in their name.

• In lengthy title skipping situations, there may be 5 or more parties involved, meaning that all of the reassignment sections have been completed on the title and that basically the alleged buyers of the vehicle have basically been tossing the title from one buyer to the next.

• The victim of title skipping, usually the last person to have the titled signed over to them end up going a location spree, with hopes of locating the person who sold the vehicle to them; and then that person must try to locate the person who sold the vehicle to them and so on.

• Many times during title skipping the prior seller/s can't be located because they are actually avoiding the titling responsibility or they have relocated.  As a result the last person who signed on the title, experience frustration and delay as a result of the title skipping process.

Why do people skip titles?

1. To avoid paying sales tax (MAIN REASON)

2. Want to avoid the DMV

3.Don't want to be bothered by the titling process

On a final note, title skipping is illegal and serious consequences can follow.  In esence, the only way a reasssignment section can actually be transferred without each person having to get a title in their name is when a dealership reassigns a vehicle to another dealer.  In this situation; the last name on the dealer reassignment must take ownership of the vehicle and get the vehicle titled in their name.  When it comes to getting a vehicle titled; it pays to follow titling procedures correctly; versus trying to take the route of "title short-cuts".

If you are stuck in a case of title skipping, get the expert advice of Wisdom & Authority Titling Solutions to put you in vehicle titling compliance.

22 Comments to VEHICLE TITLE SKIPPING:

Comments RSS
fahrudin on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:30 PM
thanks for posting this i got my self in to the same thing how can u get your self out of it

Shanel White on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:33 PM
Thanks for your comment. You are very welcome. One way to get out the "vehicle title-skipping" mess is to go to the person who sold you the vehicle and discuss the matter with them. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to track the person (because they've already moved) or sometimes they don't want to be bothered because their attitude is "it's your vehicle now". Depending on the severity of the title skipping issue and your state; you may be able to apply for a no title record, abandoned vehicle or affidavit, etc. and proof of notifying the prior owner must be present. Again, it depends on the state in which the vehicle is to be titled in.

fahrudin on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:48 PM
the ornailly owner and the person who bought the car from them her they are freidns so can they go to file for duplicate title so they don't have the fee

Dorothie Ulrich on Friday, July 27, 2012 5:08 PM
What if I live in California and the car that was left to me is in Indiana. My Aunt passed away and left me the car. I have a copy of the Will and the Death Cert. and the Pink Slip. I am trying to sale it to a dealer in Indiana but they want the car in my name and the DMV here in California and the DMV in Indiana both said the same thing. That I just had to sign my deceased Aunts name and then I sign under it and give the dealer a copy of the death cert. and the will so they can see that it was left to me but the car dealer will not do it that way but I can not register it here in California because the car is in Indiana. Please help me.

Shanel White on Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:29 AM
Hi Dorothie, First, I would like to say that you can't sign on behalf of a deceased person, nor can you sign POA (Power of Attorney) for a deceased person. If the title is in the name of your deceased aunt, you can just sign deceased by her name and where it says buyer, you should be able to sign your name along. If you are in fact the recipient of the vehicle, then having the death certificate and the will as proof will be satisfactory. What California and Indiana DMV's have shared is true, with the exception of signing for a decease person. You should be able to get the vehicle titled in either state (if you meet their residency requirements (THIS MAY OR MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU). The dealership should be using the same titling laws for Indiana. However, if they don't wish to grant you a title in the above manner that you shared; then you might want to consider getting the vehicle titled in your name only until you find another dealer or individual to sell the vehicle to.

Janice on Monday, August 20, 2012 12:24 PM
Interesting site, but in my case I have suffered no damage other than buying an as is car sight unseen (STUPID ME) and now I realize it was misrepresented. I know the title was skipped because it was not in the name of the person who sold it to me. The title was open meaning it was signed by the original owner of record on the title in the seller's area but the buyer's area was blank. Might have been sold from party to party ten times before I bought but I can certainly put my name in the buyer's section of the title and get a title in my name so that's at least no problem. I want to turn this girl in to the DMV for selling me a car not in her name. I want to get her prosecuted since that is technically illegal in my state and all states and an evasion of state sales taxes and titling fees. I guess that would require the prosecutor or state attorney to be willing to prosecute that case. But would they? I don't see the political motivation to use their resources prosecuting such a case although i see according to the law it's a 15 year jail sentence at $25000 fine to sell a car without putting it in your name first. Sounds like they put that much of a penalty on the crime because they have too little resources to enforce the law and they want to scare people. Will they prosecute it? I want this person to at least get some kind of administrative fine from the DMV. That will make me happy. Please give me your thought.

Shanel White on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:46 AM
Janice, Title skipping is illegal. While I can't offer legal advice, I can say that seeking legal action against the individual will basically determine how in depth the situation really was and if in fact this individual purposely tried to commit fraud.

David on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:03 AM
I am having an issue. I traded trucks with a guy and didnt know much about titles. He bought it from a dealership and never put the truck in his name. So, on the back of the title it has the dealership as the seller and this guy as the buyer. Below that it has him as the seller and me as the buyer. The dmv said that we must get a duplicate from the dealer and the dealer is refusing. Can we go to the dmv and have him sign an afidavit stating that he messed up the title and have it reverted so he can put it in his name?

Shanel White on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:54 AM
Hi David, In regards to your titling situation, if the dealer don't want to issue you a duplicate title, then a possible alternative for you might be for the original buyer to sign an affidavit stating that he didn't take possession of the vehicle. If DMV doesn't want to honor this, then you are stuck in a civil matter between yourself and the person who was the actual buyer, because he was supposed to have gotten the vehicle titled in his name first, rather than "flipping" it over to you. I hope this helps!

buy used forklifts sydney on Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:38 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. I am pleased by reading your post. Keep Updating us!!

Bicycle accident lawyers on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:19 AM
It is very important to have a vehicle title which need to be registration in the transportation office and we need to get the certificate of the registration of our vehicle.

Shanel White on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:01 AM
Thank you for visiting my site today. Thanks for sharing your feedback and please visit again!

Shanel White on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:04 AM
Hi, Please provide me with the information from the vehicle that you are trying to get a title for, so that I can assist you. Thanks for sharing your concern.

car accident lawyers on Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:39 AM
I was really don't know that people follow such types of strategies to avoid sales tax and DMV. They should leave this illegal procedure.

Shanel White on Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:01 PM
Thanks for your feedback! Yes, some people do go to the extremes to avoid sales tax. I've been working with titles for quite some time and I've seen and heard it all. Visit back again!

Shanel White on Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:44 AM
Hi, Thanks for sharing your feedback on vehicle title skipping. Come back and visit us soon!

TERRI on Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:11 PM
I PURCHASED A 1971 MUSTANG AT A YARD SALE. THE SELLER TOLD ME THAT HE PURCHASED THIS CAR FOR HIS SON HOWEVER, REALIZED THAT HE WAS NOT MATURE ENOUGH FOR IT. AS A RESULT HE NEVER SIGNED THE TITLE OR REGISTERED THE VEHICLE AND LATER THE TITLE WAS DESTROYED IN A FIRE. WHEN HE SOLD THE CAR HE SAID THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO GET A NEW TITLE HOWEVER, WE DID NOT REALIZE AT THE TIME THAT THE SELLER WHO SOLD IT TO HIM IS UNOBTAINABLE FOR REASONS UNKNOWN TO ME. THE SELLER DID SIGN A HANDWRITTEN DOCUMENT SHOWING THE DATE AND WHAT WE PAID FOR THE VEHICLE ALONG WITH BOTH MY NAME AND BOYFRIENDS NAME AND SIGNATURE ON IT AS WELL. THIS LEADS TO MY QUESTION HOW DO WE GET A TITLE FOR THE VEHICLE WE HAVE NOW HAD IT FOR ALMOST A YEAR.

TERRI on Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:13 PM
OH! I LEFT OUT THAT WE RESIDE IN THE STATE OF N.J.

Shanel White on Monday, March 25, 2013 5:57 AM
Terri, In regard to your title situation in NJ; I've sent you an email. Please read it. Thanks for visiting.

juan on Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:27 PM
to make a very very long story short. what if the last person who sold me the vehicle didn't title it in their name. but yet the name is on the title. and the title so happened to be from another state. could i use a Bill of Sale to be able to title the vehicle in my name? or can i call for a lost title and just get the last person to sign it? i need ideas, im tired of going on a "tracking down spree".

LEAH on Saturday, May 04, 2013 12:16 PM
MY ROTTEN BROTHER IN LAW HAS BEEN SKIPPING/JUMPING TITLES FOR YEARS, PROBABLY 30 A YEAR. HE WAS FINALLY CAUGHT AFTER A STING BY THE DMV FOR JUMPING 7 VEHICLES IN A MONTH. HOW SERIOUS IS THIS?

Shanel on Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:02 PM
Title skipping is a very serious. When title skipping is addressed, the biggest issue at hand is that the individuals/s involved are trying to avoid paying sales taxes.