"Made a Mistake On Your Auto Title"?
Company Message - Company Message
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

DMV TITLE AND REGISTRATION EXPERT
PLACING MECHANIC OR STORAGE LIENS ON VEHICLES
What DMV Documents are Needed When Selling Your Vehicle
WHAT IS A NON REPAIRABLE CERTIFICATE
Bought a Vehicle Online Without a Title

Most Popular Posts

IFTA FILING 2ND QTR 2011 IS DUE
VEHICLE TITLE SKIPPING
Multiple Owners on a Vehicle Title
Motor Carrier Permits: IRP/IFTA Trip Permits, Overload Permits& Hauling Permits
Bought a Vehicle From Private Seller and Lost Title?

Categories

1st Quarter IFTA Tax Filing
3rd Quarter IFTA Tax Filing 2012
4th Quarter IFTA Tax Filing
ABANDONED VEHICLES SERVICE ASSISTANCE
ABANDONED VEHICLES TITLE HELP
AUTO DEALER/AUCTION OUT OF BUSINESS
BILL OF SALE
Bought a Vehicle Online Without a Title
Bought a Vehicle That's Stolen?
BOUGHT A VEHICLE WITHOUT GETTING TITLE
Starting a Trucking Company
Tips to Prepare Your IFTA Quarterly Taxes
Title & Register an Antique Vehicle
TITLE SKIPPING
TITLING A TRAILER
Trucking Citations
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
VEHICLE LIENS PART ONE
Vehicle Title Assistance
Vehicle Title Fraud Help
Vehicle Title Services
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
VIRGINIA AUTO REGISTRATIONS

May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011

powered by

Wisdom & Authority Title Solutions

"Made a Mistake On Your Auto Title"?

Note: If you have any questions or need assistance, please don't post questions on this blog, but contact me at:swhite@wisdomandauthority.com or http://www.wisdomandauthority.com

During my time at the DMV, I came across many titles that didn't do the vehicle owner justice due to the fact that the "vehicle owner" was turned away due to physical issues on their vehicle title.  What am I talking about?  Well for starters, many people don't realize that a vehicle title is a legal document.  As a result of this, when "physical errors" take place on the title itself, negative consequences can and many times do occur.  I am going to address four major areas that will prohibit your titling transaction from getting done, if the physical errors listed below are enacted:

Areas:

1. The Usage of Correction Tape or Liquid:Believe it or not, some people actually apply correction tape or liquid on their titles to cover mistakes.  In essence, this makes the "mistakes" worst, and covers up important title data, which may not be clear to the processor of the transaction.

2. Faulty Odometer Readings: This particular area of mishap may not come as a surprise, but it is still a common problem on titles.  You can not falsify the odometer readings by changing the digits or try to "roll back" the readings.  Playing around with odometer readings is a federal offense.

3. Scribbling/Heavy Scratch Outs: While, it's very easy and common to make a mistake when filling out information on a vehicle title, scribbling and using heavy scratch outs is a big no-no.  This type of mishap is annoying and raises the red flag that someone is trying to conceal or change important title data.

4. Rips, Tears,  Burn and Stain Marks: Whenever rips, tears, burn and or stain marks are on a title; it raises the red flag of possible alteration.  For example, if a part of the VIN is missing, the make of the vehicle is covered in oils/grease, the section for the seller and buyer has burn marks on it, etc., the processor of the transaction will raise eyebrows towards negligence,  and the  intent to defraud; even if the above examples are mistakes.

While it is certain that mistakes happen, treating a vehicle title with negligence and damage can bring about delays, and legal and or financial consequences.  If you are facing a titling situation in which your title is damaged and or has mistakes on it as shown in the above examples; please give Wisdom & Authority Titling Solutions  a call today.  On a final note, vehicle titles can not be altered in any way, doing so will constitute a void.

46 Comments to "Made a Mistake On Your Auto Title"?:

Comments RSS
lissette on Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:31 PM
I bought a car today 05/12/2012 and realized the seller put 03/12/2012. wht can i do about this?

remo on Monday, December 17, 2012 1:45 AM
I got a car from a car lot well traded and I noticed that the door spot says 2 instead of a 4 wat should I do

Shanel White on Monday, December 17, 2012 9:47 AM
You can get the dealer to get it corrected. Should you need immediate assistance, feel free to contact me.

Brandon Sepeda on Sunday, January 06, 2013 7:57 PM
I am intrested in buying a car. The owner has singed it in the seller's spot. And the person who signed as the buyer is selling me the car. Is it possible for me to transfer the title in my name?

Shanel White on Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:15 PM
Hi Brandon, If the buyer signed on the title, you won't be able to transfer the title into your name, without the challenge or consequence of this particular type of situation. If you need my help, please let me know, so that I can provide more insight.

Steve on Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:28 AM
I made one mistake putting the odometer reading in the date of sale line, and neatly crossed it out with a single line, and initialed it which is done legally everywhere. And when taken to the agency they rejected it and wrote void all over it. I think this is a scam to make $60 (the garden/scam state) because I heard there is such thing as an erasure affidavit which would be significantly cheaper. But the NJ-DMV reprentative (i think illegally) destroyed my document.

Shanel White on Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:13 PM
Steve, Sorry your situation turned out the way it did. Unfortunately, acknowledging a mistake on an auto title by putting your initials beside it isn't good enough when it comes to DMV. The DMV rep should have given you the title back, so that you could use the necessary affidavits of corrections if necessary or apply for a duplicate title.

Takia Truxon on Friday, February 01, 2013 5:39 PM
My son scribbled just a tiny bit

Shanel White on Friday, February 01, 2013 8:09 PM
Takia, If you son scribbled on the title just a little, might not be a problem. However, it depends on where the scribbling took place (VIN, seller/buyer signatures, etc.) For example, if important data is covered up, it could be an issue. I hope this helps. Check back for future updates.

Wen on Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:20 PM
I need to change the name on the buyer line can I?

Shanel White on Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:58 PM
Wen, Thanks for visiting. Sorry, you can't change the name on the buyer line. Need more information, feel free to shoot me an email!

May on Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:01 PM
While signing the back of the title, (applying to be the owner of the car) I checked the box in section 2 (actual mileage box) instead of section 1 where it should have been. The mileage reading is in the right place, and all other information is correct. Will we have to order a new title or is it something that can be corrected at the DMV?

Zoraima Vazquez on Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:21 PM
Good evening, I sold a car I put my name instead of the buyer on the part it said buyer on the title which should I do. Thank you

Shanel White on Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:30 PM
Hi, It really depends upon the state and whether or not you scribbled or "tried to fix" the mistake. Contact me via email or phone for more insight.

Edwin S on Monday, February 18, 2013 6:02 PM
I just bought a motorcycle, he gave me the title and he signed the write places, but he put the wrong date on the date box next to(left side) the trasnferee/buyer signature(s) box. which i believe was my box to write the date. Will this be problem to transfer the title to my name? thanks in advance..

Shanel White on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:31 PM
Hi, You shouldn't have a problem if the seller put the wrong date in the box, as long as it isn't a date that's been longer than 30 days and or you haven't tried to make any corrections to the date.

cesar on Monday, February 18, 2013 11:48 PM
the seller of the vehicle put a extra zero on their address zip code.will i have a promblem registering the vehicle in my name

Shanel White on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:28 PM
Hi, If the seller put an extra zero on their address zip code, that's not problem, unless you have tried to scratch over it or correct it somehow.

chelsea on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:41 PM
i purchased a car, i have the title but the owner put the amount of the car in the spot where he should have signed. This was done in 2011. the person who i purchased the car from never transferred the title in his name but he had the title notarized in 2011. i keep calling the first owner but he never gets back to me. what are my options?

Shanel White on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:03 PM
Chelsea, You are involved in a title skipping situation. The complexity of the situation also is regarding the state in which you are trying to get the title for. Please contact me for more information.

Diana on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:53 PM
I bought a car yesterday and I signed my name on the title and I still haven't registered it. It is a gift for my dad. How do I go about changing the name I printed on signed on the title to give to him to register?

Shanel White on Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:37 AM
Diana, You can't change the name on the title. For more detailed information, feel free to phone, email or tweet me.

Shanel White on Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:38 AM
You are welcomed. Glad that we could help. Visit again.

Metal Springs on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:23 AM
All the things are important in auto care, You have perfectly mentioned it in this blog which impressed me though your appreciable work. Thanks for it.

Shanel White on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:31 AM
I'm glad that you found the information in my post helpful. Thanks alot for sharing your feedback with me. Come again!

Mark on Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:56 PM
On the back of my title being signed over to me I mistakinly checked the box that says mileage has gone over the amount the care is capable of tracking. I bought car in Massachusetts and am going to register in ct. Will they let me correct this and register vehicle?

Shanel White on Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:36 PM
Mark, You can't make any changes on the title regarding the mileage (odometer reading). Hopefully you have the odometer disclosure on hand already. If so this will help.

elvis on Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:34 AM
Hi...my cousin sold me a car its a new york state title and he signed at the right location but then wrote NEW YORK on the signature line since it says city right under the that line butts really from the box under it. he then put in city where it really goes. will i have a problem with this?...the mistake is not crossed out so its his signature and then new york rught after it

Shanel White on Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:00 AM
Hi, Being that he wrote the city in the correct spot and didn't cross out the area, should be fine.

Jimmy on Monday, March 11, 2013 12:36 AM
Hi, in filling out my address the seller wrote down the 14 as the street number when it should have been 15, when I pointed it out to him he wrote 5 over the number 4, making it 15. Would that cause a problem? It's only one digit in the street number that has been corrected with a write over. All the important information i.e. signature, mileage, dates etc are correct with no modification. This is my first car that I bought so I didn't know about the no alteration / erasure rule until now. P.S. the car is being registered and titled in NY

Shanel White on Monday, March 11, 2013 6:08 AM
Jimmy, If the correction or write over for the address, wasn't a terrible correction, you shouldn't have a problem. If it's like a big scribble you may run into a situation. I would have to see the title, to give you further insight.

Brittany Cody on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:08 PM
I bought a car from a lady in MS i live in AL now. My problem is that on the title she wrote her name and address on the top line, the second line she signed and printed her name then the third line i signed and printed my name. I was told that this is incorrect and i am unable to get the title changed to my name. The number i have for her is disconnected and i cant contact her to get her to correct it. What can i do?

Shanel White on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:27 PM
Brittany, It really depends on the state. I can't assume that because you are in AL that you are trying to get an AL title. Please contact me via email or phone, so that I can provide you with further insight.

Isrel on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:31 AM
By mistake I put my name and address instead of the buyer at the top of the title on the back. What should I do?

Shanel White on Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:05 PM
Isrel, Did the buyer sign the title yet? If so, you both should be able to submit a statement of error.

Elizabeth on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:46 PM
My dad was going to sell his car to my brother but now he is going to sell it to me. He put my brothers name as the buyer, but then he put one single line through my brothers name and put my name on top and initialed it. Is that the correct procedure?

Shanel White on Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:01 PM
Elizabeth, Unfortunately, this isn't the correct procedure. You can't scratch through a name and write another name over it, regarding a title.

Mayur on Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:29 AM
Hi Shanel, Yesterday I received my memo of title from dealer and realized that there is a typo in my first name, instead of U they have put in O. What to do? Please advise. Thanks!

Shanel White on Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:02 PM
Hi, Please check your email that was sent to you for help.

s slater on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:15 PM
what happens when the seller signs the title in the buyers spot

vehicle accident claim on Friday, April 05, 2013 7:51 AM
Your blog title is very catchy. I enjoyed reading this informative post. Thank you so much for this share.

Shanel White on Friday, April 05, 2013 6:52 PM
Hi, Thanks for sharing your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. Please check back for more updates!!

Mike on Monday, April 15, 2013 4:15 PM
Hello, the IL DMV has made a mistake and marked on our title our vehicle as being 'used' buy my wife purchased it 'new.' We just paid off the vehicle, and after months and months of back and fourths with the DMV here in IL, we FINALLY received the title, only to notice my wife's name was spelled wrong. After that lengthy process of fixing, we received our title back (took 1 year ... seriously ..) we noticed it was listed as 'used.' We forwarded the original paperwork from TD Auto indicating it was a 'new' purchase, but the DMV stated in a very short note "vehicle not new, no change." SERIOUSLY? Now they want us to pay $95 just for them to "look" at a possible fix ... how, at all, are we liable for this??

Shanel White on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:09 AM
Mike, If you bought your vehicle as a used vehicle from the car dealer, then the vehicle title record would show "used", however if you bought it brand new (AS YOU AND YOUR WIFE BEING THE VERY FIRST OWNERS OF THE VEHICLE), then naturally it would be titled as "new". If you in fact purchased the vehicle brand new, and you have the documentation from the dealer to show to the DMV then, DMV is obligated to correct their mistake. However back to the first scenario if it was used (you were't the first owner), then "used" will stay on the title record. If I were able to review your title documents, I would definitely know whether DMV is right or wrong. I hope this helps.

Derrick on Monday, May 06, 2013 10:34 PM
Got a car but there is an erasure on the title which makes it void! Can't get in contact with original owner...What can i do to register the car?

Joanna on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:20 PM
My parents gifted my husband and me their car. My dad signed the "seller" section but then my mom signed the "buyer" portion right next to it where I believe I am supposed to sign. We do not live near each other so this has involved a lot of FedExing back and forth. Do we have to get a whole new title or can we just do "statement of error" form? Does it need to be notarized? We are in California. Thanks for your help.