In this segment of the series Intrastate Operating Authority in Virginia, the operating authority classfication type Passenger Carriers will be the focal point. The Passenger Carrier operating authority type is the largest of the three (Passenger, Broker and Property Carrier) classifications. Accordingly, there are eight "sub-classifications" under the Passenger Carrier operating authority classification that will be observed in this segment. Please note that as there are compliances that must be met with the the three operating authority types; there are compliances that must be met with the "sub-classifications" as well. The eight "sub-classifications" under the Passenger Carrier type of operating authority and their descriptions are:
1. Common Carrier (Regular Route): is when an operator transports passengers/the general public for charge, using a destinated/planned or regular route of destination.
2. Common Carrier (Irregular Route): is when an operator transports passengers/the general public for charge, using a undestinated/unplanned or irregular route of destination.
3. Non-Proift/Tax Exempt Passenger Carrier: is when a non profit operator transports members (disabled, elderly, and or low-income) of its organization by a minibus. The organization can not charge its members a fee for transporting them.
4. Employee Hauler Carrier: is when an operator transports employees of a business to and from their place of work (ONLY).
5. Taxicab: is when an operator transports no more than six passengers in a vehicle that is designed to carry only the designated amount (6) passengers in that particular vehicle-excluding the driver.
6. Sight Seeing Carrier: is when an operator transports the general public/passengers to and from points of "sight seeing" activity with the interest of the general public/passengers in mind; while also encouraging tourism.
7. Contract Passenger Carrier: is an operator who transports a group of passengers under a contract of activity and other terms, while charging a group fee.
8. Contract Bus Carrier: is an operator who transports a group of passengers (using a charter bus only) while establishing a contract of activity and other terms and charges a group fee as well.
The above "sub-classifications" under the Passenger Carrier type provides only a glimpse of the type of service that each "sub-classifcation" provides. Wisdom & Authority Titling Solutions is available to provide more in depth analysis of your operating authority classfications and needs; with the purpose of keeping you on track with legalities and safety requirements. Also check back next week with more insight from Intrastate Operating Authority in Virginia (Part 3).
Credits:Some Date Used from the Virginia DMV